Have you struggled to come up with a way to fix your maytag centennial washer that is stuck on sensing? If your answer to this is no, then you are definitely at the right page to get your problem solved.
A clear symptom of the issue you will be experiencing if your washer is stuck on sensing is that, whenever you start a cycle, the machine just gets stuck at “sensing” and keeps blinking the LED light without proceeding to the next stage.
I single handedly solved this issue right at the comfort of my home without having to reach out to a repairman.
Basically, you can also follow the procedures I implemented and I assure you the problem will get fixed in no time..
Why Is My Maytag Centennial Washer Stuck On Sensing?
The most likely reasons why your washer is not progressing from sensing is because the load sensor is bad, the main board or control panel is damaged, issues with the water inlet valves, the selected setting does not produce enough water for the load.
Meanwhile, I will be taking you through how I actually detected the exact issue that is causing my washer to get stuck in this mode.
You will also be able to figure out how to fix the same issue on your own maytag centennial washing machine just like I did.
Now onto the main point, let’s proceed into some other reasons why your washer could be getting stuck on sensing and the ways to troubleshoot the issue.
- A faulty water inlet valve.
- Not resetting the washer.
- A faulty washer shift actuator.
- Not closing the maytag centennial washer lid.
- A damaged control panel or board
- Too much loads in the washer.
- A malfunctioning sensing button or switch.
- The chosen setting does not produce enough water for the load.
If your maytag centennial washer is still under warranty, you might not want to work on it but instead call the attention of the company in order not to void the warranty.
The Washer Miscalculated Error
A reason why your maytag centennial washercould get stuck on sensing is probably because of an error that occurred during a cycle.
There is a way for you to clear this miscalculation and start all over again from the beginning. I can remember that I actually tried this method on my washer when the sensing problem began.
- The procedure that needs to be carried out is resetting your maytag washer.
- All you have to do is turn off your washer by unplugging it from the wall outlet. You might have to wait for a few seconds before plugging it back in.
- After plugging the washer back into the wall outlet, fully open and close the lid of the appliance for a minimum of 6 times.
- Following this process, start another cycle and check if the washer is still not moving past sensing.
The Top Of The Washer Or Lid Is Not Closed
You probably have been trying to figure out why the lid of my washer could affect the functioning of the application. The answer to this is YES!, most cycles won’t be properly authorized if the lid is not closed.
It is recommended that you always close to the top of your washer in order to avoid any washing issues. You can proceed to inspect your washer by checking if the lid was slightly opened during a cycle.
Ensure that it is closed properly and start all over again. Your maytag centennial washer should go past sensing after doing this.
Related: Ge washer stuck on sensing
Problem With The Inlet Valve
So the washer is probably stuck because of a faulty water inlet valve. The water inlet valve really carries out some important duties associated with the proper functioning of an maytag centennial, which is why a slight fault can really affect your machine and issues like this are likely to come up.
This inlet valve controls the flow of both hot and cold water as it connects the washer with two water hoses.
If this component is bad or blocked, you have to replace or clean it in order to restore full water flow.
But how do you know the root of your problem is the inlet valve? You can only do this by detaching the panel of the washer.
- It is a very simple procedure to remove the head of the washer, all that is required is a tool you can use to screw (You have to undo the top screws at the back of the appliance).
- After you must have removed this part of the washer and had access to the water valves. Use a multimeter to test the continuity of each of the hot water and cold water valves (inlet valve solenoids) to detect if they’re burned out or not.
- You should see a reading on the continuity and if you don’t see any, that means the water valves need a replacement.
- You can get a new water inlet valve at Ebay, it’s so easy for me to do. You should be able to do it also.
- Make sure that you inspect the valve for blockages also before replacing. Pull it out with a needle nose pliers and clean it, sometimes you might not need to replace the valve if the issue stops after you’ve cleaned the valve.
The Control Panel Or Board Is Faulty
Another clear reason why you might be havilland issues with your washer regarding the sensing is probably due to a faulty control panel.
All main commands and authorizations are carried out on the main control board. If a slight underperformance is detected, it could affect some main parts of the component which includes the sensing.
Therefore, you should get another control panel or board if this is the root of the issue. However, I didn’t have to replace my maytag centennial’s control panel.
That obviously wasn’t the cause of my sensing problem.
I only had issues with the inlet valves when my washer was stuck on sensing. However, if your control panel is damaged, you have no other choice but to get it replaced.
Inspect The Maytag Centennial Washer Shift actuator
The shift actuator is a very important part of a centennial washer as it is responsible for shifting the function of a washing machine to another.
Note that if this shift actuator is faulty, your washer might be stuck on sensing mode without proceeding to the next phase.
It might not be easy, but you need to replace the shift actuator if it is damaged.
Ensure that you purchase the correct actuator for your specific model, you can get one on Amazon, depending on your washer model.
In addition to this, there are several video tutorials you can watch on youtube to guide you on how to replace your washer shift actuator.
There Are Too Much Loads In The Washer
Without a doubt, there are lots of issues attached to putting too many excess loads in your washer and sensing getting stuck is one of them.
You need to ensure there aren’t too many loads In the washer and it should have the basic optimal load size.
After reducing the excessive loads, try to restart your washer and the issue should get solved with this method or try others below.
Related: Amana Washer Stuck On Sensing Fill
The Sensing Switch Or Sensor Is Faulty
Take note of that sensing switch or sensor that keeps blinking with proceeding to the next phase. It might be stuck because it is damaged or faulty.
Most of the time, this sensor hardly gets damaged despite having used your washer for several years.
Even if you reach out to a repairer, this could be the last spot he’d even think of troubleshooting.
This should not exclude the fact that the sensing button doesn’t get damaged. It is also among the reasons why your washer is stuck on sensing.
How To Put Maytag Centennial Washer In Diagnostics Mode?
Another recommended troubleshooting tip is to activate the diagnostic mode in order to get error codes to detect the issue.
- First and foremost, unplug the washer and plug it back in.
- Spin dial around one time and stop at ‘normal’. Make sure you then follow the sequence of turning the knob one click left’, then one right back at ‘normal’, one right, another one right, one left, then finally right.
- Lights will begin to flash, then do two more turns clockwise and press start.
- The diagnostic mode will run various test on your washer and error codes will detect the issue will the appliance.
Related: Kenmore Washer Stuck On Sensing
Maytag Centennial Washer Stuck On Sensing – Final Thoughts
These days, inflation rates are really high and you don’t really want to go out there to get a new washing machine when the one at home is faulty.
You can actually fix these problems yourself without having to pay a huge amount of money to repairmen or purchase a new one.
Most times, numerous breakdown issues seem to appear while using your appliances if not properly maintained. I hope with the step-by-step guide above, you should be able to fix maytag centennial washer stuck on sensing.